Pharmaceutical compounding (done in compounding pharmacies) is the creation of a particular pharmaceutical product to fit the unique need of a patient. To do this, compounding pharmacists combine or process appropriate ingredients using various tools. This may be done for medically necessary reasons, such as to change the form of the Medication from a solid pill to a liquid, to avoid a non-essential ingredient that the patient is allergic to or to obtain the exact doses needed or deemed best of particular active Pharmaceutical ingredients.
Compounded medications are ordered by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, veterinarian or other prescriber, and mixed by licensed compounding pharmacists in a safe and carefully controlled environment.
Pharmacists are the only healthcare professionals trained in chemical compatibilities, making them the only ones qualified to compose alternative dosages.
Some examples of compounded medications include:
- Bio identical Hormone replacement therapy
- pain management compounding
- impotence compounding
- veterinary compounds, diabetic compounding
- commonly prescribed compounds for family practice
- custom made compounded dental medications
- skincare and dermatology compounding
- prescription compounds for wound care.
Examples of the types of compounds made at Morro Bay Drug & Gift include:
- Oral suspensions
- Specific capsules both immediate release and sustained-release
- Transdermal creams, gels, and ointments
- Skin products
- Nasal sprays
- and many other patient specific dosage forms.
Ask our Pharmacy Compounding Specialists if compounded medications may be appropriate therapy for your improved health.
Business Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-6pm / Sat 9am-2pm